This grade II listed building was built by Frederick Bligh Bond, noted Bristol architect and relation of Vice Admiral William Bligh (of HMS Bounty fame), in a Queen Anne/English Baroque style and originally opened on 1 June 1907.
It is a memorial to local businessman and MP Handel Cossham, who bequeathed the land to the people of Kingswood when he died in 1890.
The hospital was nationalised in 1948, extended in 1973 and became a day facility in 2000 but was threatened with closure in 2004. However thousands of people campaigned and attended marches as the local community fought to save the facility.
Now the hospital has benefitted from a £19 million restoration to meet the needs of modern healthcare. It now houses Bristol's first standalone midwife-led birth centre where about 500 women a year with straightforward pregnancies can give birth in more comfortable surroundings as well as physiotherapy and outpatient appointments, including audiology.
The new roof
Due to the Grade II listed status of this building, strict planning requirements were adhered to in order to successfully re-roof the main building and the Renal Unit.
Some 32,000 SSQ Riverstone natural Argentinian slates were used in two sizes, 500 x 250 and 500 x 300, laid over Proctor Roofshield breather membrane and treated softwood battens & counterbattens. RedBank clay roll-top ornamental ridge tiles capped the roof, along with close-mitred hip details (to match the original roof), over 100m2 of sheet lead cladding and over 600 metres of new lead flashings.
Now that the refurbishment has been completed and new clinics have moved to Cossham, there is the capacity for about 25,000 appointments compared to 9,000 prior to the project.