Cardiff Royal Infirmary opened in 1883 as the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire Infirmary, as a replacement to the Glamorgan and Monmouthshire Infirmary and Dispensary, which had been housed elsewhere in Cardiff for almost 50 years.
The Marquess of Bute, responsible for many of Cardiff's landmarks, gifted the land for the hospital, which originally contained 100 beds. The chapel and Edwardian stone frontage, now the new main entrance, were added in the early
part of the 20th century.
The continuing use of the CRI site as a health and wellbeing centre ensures that the land is used in accordance with the original covenant, which said it must be used as an infirmary and dispensary.
The infirmary buildings are all currently Grade II listed but this will be removed for those areas of the hospital that have been added in recent decades, leaving only the core of the 130-year-old buildings free for the redevelopment.
The 130-year-old Victorian buildings will be given a new lease of life after closing 10 years ago and following a decade of failed plans for their future.
The new roof
The four-year development plan started with the demolition of the unwanted parts of the site which have been added to the eight- acre site in recent decades.
Camilleri Roofing were appointed to undertake the roof renewal works, which began in December 2010. The 4,000 roof renewal was completed in March 2014, with a final account value in excess of £600,000.
The completed project will provide a £40m health and wellbeing centre for the city.