The Gwyn Hall, named after local dignitary Howel Gwyn who donated the land on which it is built, was constructed in 1887 at a cost
It was used as a cultural venue and meeting place for council business until the construction of the Neath Civic Centre in the
1960's and received a Grade II listing in 1989, due to its fine architectural detailing and its value to the Neath townscape.
It was closed for a £4 million restoration in 2006, but on 18 October 2007 fire ripped through the Hall, just weeks before the overhaul
was due to be completed. More than 60 firefighters from across South West Wales battled to save the building, which was almost destroyed.
The £10 million decision to resurrect the hall was taken by Neath Port Talbot County Borough Council and Morgan Sindall was appointed
as the Main Contractor, to restore the external envelope to its original state whilst creating a state-of-the-art facility including a 400-seat
theatre, a 70-seat 3D digital cinema, a 140-capacity multi-purpose studio, a cafe-bistro and an interval bar.
The original external envelope included a natural Welsh slate roof, which was totally engulfed in the fire. New Welsh slates, from the
Penrhyn quarry in North Wales, were therefore specified as part of the restoration - over 11,000 slates to cover the 700m2+ roof area.