Opened in May of 1856, this English-speaking Wesleyan chapel was built by an architect named James Wilson of Bath and is a beautiful specimen of the Gothic style of architecture.
The original roof
The original roof used a combination of purple and grey coloured natural slates in feature bands, with all slates chamfered to create a "fishtail" effect. However, the ravages of the
Welsh weather had taken their toll as had large scale repairs and renewals in standard shaped and man-made slates.
The roof pitch of 55° and a rafter length in excess of 10 metres made for a difficult stripping procedure. However, careful planning and the development of our method statement provided
a safe method of work which was approved by the Health & Safety Executive.
The new roof
Due to the Grade II listed status of this building, the re-roofing was to be carried out to exactly match the existing finish. Over 12,000 Ffestiniog (grey) and Penrhyn (purple) natural
Welsh slates were cut by hand to replicate the original chamfered detail. These were laid over Actis Tri-Iso Super 10 insulation, 50 x 25 counterbattens, Tyvek Supro Plus breather
membrane and 50 x 25 slating battens.
Redbank clay roll-top ridge tiles, buff (yellow) in colour completed the 750m2 slate roof, which also required over 50m2 of new sheet leadwork to
parapet gutters and over 250m of new lead flashings.
After the completion of the refurbishment works, a Service of Celebration and Thanksgiving was held, the principal guest being BBC newsreader Huw Edwards.